BlueKatSpecial

Monday, March 13, 2006

New Recipe Tuesday

With the holiday fast approaching, I thought I would share a new take on corned beef and cabbage. I like this recipe because it's portable and I'll be taking it to a potluck. The original version is actually Emeril's from the Food Network site but as Seventh knows, I never met a recipe I couldn't (and didn't) modify. In this case, I've simplified it. So without further ado... Ingredients 6 sheets of frozen phyllo dough. Look for the large rolled sheets. They need to be thawed before you can start assembly. 1/2 lb of sliced corned beef, from the deli 1/2 lb of sliced or shredded swiss cheese 1/3 of small head of cabbage, loosely shredded 1/2 small onion, sliced Saute onion in a small amount of olive oil. When onion is soft, add cabbage and cook until cabbage is limp. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tbl of good mustard. (I used dill mustard). Unroll phyllo, with sheets stacked on top of each other. Beginning on long side, place slices of corned beef to cover about 2/3 of sheet. Top with cabbage mixture. Cover that with cheese. Beginning from filled long side start rolling toward unfilled side, like a strudel. Brush some olive oil over the outside of phyllo dough. Put on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Be sure to make your own modifications!

2 Comments:

  • Is the pope granting special dispensation so that we may indulge in corned beef? I know he did some years back so as to appease his plentiful Irish flock. Good call on his part.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 AM  

  • Well, now. There's the opportunity to make your own modification.

    By Blogger First, at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home